In the sixth grade, youth begin to be accountable for serving others as part of their Catholic commitment. That said, giving of oneself is not restricted to an assignment during Christian Formation — it is a lifelong endeavor!
The Christian Formation program requires:
- Middle School youth to complete 5 hours of service per year and
- High School youth to complete 10 hours of service per year.
Youth are to complete service in these three areas:
- Service within Liturgy
- Service within Parish Life
- Service within the Community
Confirmation candidates (usually grade 11) are required to serve in a liturgical role for the year. Youth in younger grades can do this as well – but they will also have opportunities for liturgical service at a Sunday Mass served by their class.
Please use the Service and Retreat Log to record the ways that you have served.
If you are unsure about an activity, talk to a Christian Formation staff person. The biggest criteria is giving of yourself without pay for the service of others to make a difference in our community.
Ongoing Service Opportunities
Service within Liturgy – Includes Usher, Server, Lector (Reader), Cantor, Choir Member, Musician. Can be weekly or monthly at any of the Masses. Complete the Liturgy Scheduling Form and return to the office or in the collection at Mass. Training is provided. Questions go to Brian McLinden, Director of Liturgy and Music, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (262) 691-1535 x103.
Friday Fish Fry -- Volunteers help with set-up, ticket sales, food service, carry outs, cleaning tables, and clean-up. Shifts run 2-3 hours each. Shifts start at 3 pm and end around 8 pm. (Dinner is served from 4:30 to 7 pm.) Folks are also needed to donate desserts. You choose which dates work for you. Volunteering at Fish Fry is a great way to help QOA, meet people, and have fun. Complete the Fish Fry Form and return to the office or in the collection at Mass. Questions go to parishioner Joyce Fischer at email@example.com.
Saint Vincent de Paul Meal Program – Volunteers are needed to cook food, donate food / money, and serve food up to 6 times a year. Complete the SVdP Meal Sign-Up and return to the office or in the collection at Mass. Questions go to parishioner Cindy Klopp at (414) 531-1817.
- Music Sorting and Filing – Our Director of Liturgy and Music, Brian McLinden, needs some helpers to sort and file music. Depending on your interest, this could be a one time deal or an ongoing project. Can be done on your schedule and with friends. RSVP to Brian at firstname.lastname@example.org or (262) 691-1535 x103.
New Service Opportunities
- Thanksgiving Food Drive -- Now to Sunday, November 5. Bring any items on the Food Drive List to Church. Count as service hours the time it takes you to either earn your donation or to collect donations from others. Ask your neighbors, co-workers, and relatives! Put the food in the marked box is in the entryway. The high school youth will pack the boxes at their session on November 5. The Capuchins will share the boxes with those in need at Thanksgiving through the House of Peace.
Check back often for updates!