Role Information and communication technology is essential for parish employees to work efficiently and for the parish to keep in contact with its parishioners. A technology committee which functions under the Finance Council will provide the expert guidance for the parish to develop replacement and upgrade plans as well as incorporate and integrate new technologies into parish usage. The scope of the committee can cover a number of technology areas, including computers, copiers/printers, phone, bulletin, video, sound and security systems as well as technology education in a school.
The committee follows the guidelines in the Norms for Finance Councils. A meeting report should be submitted to the Finance Council for review. The Finance Council may request to meet with the committee on occasion and will rely on the committee to assess the state of the technology systems and to recommend any budgetary expenditure as part of an ongoing plan.
Membership The committee will work optimally with 5 to 7 members. Three to five members should be selected from the parish and/or school and two to three members from the staff. Members should have some technology skills and knowledge as well as an understanding of the Church's mission in order to ensure that the use of technology will help the parish achieve its broader mission and goals.
In the selection of members, knowledge about how to use the technology is preferable to how the technology works but both are needed on the committee. Younger parishioners tend to be more tech savvy and should be invited to participate in this committee.
Areas of Responsibility
The technology committee is responsible for these tasks:
- Develop and regularly update a technology plan, providing the research, writing, and editing of the plan for approval by the Finance Council for the ongoing evolution, upgrading, and replacement of systems.
- Establish technology use directives and procedures for shared equipment to insure that the technology is made available for use and properly maintained.
- Propose and prioritize technology projects as needed and as part of the plan.
- Monitor the progress of technology projects in conjunction with the designated staff person.
- Conduct an annual survey of commissions and committees to update the status of the technology plan, to assess current technology use, and to determine any changes or needs.
Please contact the Parish Office at (262) 691-1535 if you are interested in being part of this committee.