Role The personnel committee makes recommendations to the Finance Council regarding the adoption of a parish personnel handbook. The actual hiring, supervision, evaluation or termination of employees are the proper roles of the pastor, administrator or person delegated. In addition, this committee can provide important professional and legal expertise in regard to personnel policy, benefit packages, conflict resolution and mediation, hiring and firing and all areas of human resource management.
The committee meets several times a year to review the handbook, to train other parish personnel supervisors, and to monitor the state of personnel practice in the parish. The committee may also convene at the request of the pastor or administrator to consult regarding a personnel matter.
Membership The pastor or administrator should attend these meetings.
Other members from the parish should be selected with expertise in law, human resources, and personnel management.
Areas of Responsibility
The personnel committee is responsible for the following tasks:
- Develop, maintain, and update a parish personnel handbook, grounded in Catholic Social Teaching and faithful to diocesan and USCCB guidelines, for councils review and approval by the Finance Council.
- Assist with the development and review of job descriptions for all parish positions.
- Assist with the development of a performance review system for use with exempt and nonexempt employees.
- Provide an annual training for supervisors in the performance review system in order to establish consistent patterns of position affirmation and improvement.
- Develop, maintain, and update a hiring and interview process for parish supervisors to follow when seeking new employees which ensures equal opportunity and promotes affirmative action.
- Develop an orientation procedure for new employees, make it available to supervisors, and monitor its use and effectiveness.
- Review the parish record keeping for personnel matters and benefit use and make any necessary recommendations for improvement.
Please contact the Parish Office at (262) 691-1535 if you are interested in being part of this committee.